Thursday 14 April 2011

Posters

When Roger's trout Farm were starting out I was still learning to be a designer, I was so precious about every mark I made on a sheet of paper. I took months to design anything. So when it came to posters it was both frustrating and liberating working with the others.

I'd go to Steve and Paul's to talk about how we could represent the band visually, how we could design a logo to reach our target demographic, maximizing connection with the audience, and they'd say, look, I've cut my head up and made it into a totem pole. Damn it! it looked great too.

Our main weapons of choice were photocopier, paintbrush and glue. We just made what came into our heads. I suppose we were doing a similar thing musically and that's why it worked so well (most of the time)


Once we made the posters we had to put them around town but flyposting is another story.



The Classic, "Paul Totem pole head" design and our first gig, proper 1990


Re-made in photoshop for the re-union gigs 2011
The Classic fish tank design, We used this for Posters, Demos and T-shirts
Steve, "Flower head" Design. Did we really make a life size photocopy Steve for this gig?
Slogans were not even popular within the band, I still like this one. We were in trouble with several of our Mums for adopting the slogan, "The Name on Everyone's Tits" Offending poster not included, in case Mums are reading
Returning to these posters has brought back some great memories, remaking the posters with Photoshop was fun but in the end I had to, get a real paintbrush out.

1 comment: